Search This Blog

Monday, August 24, 2009

[:.FLICKS.:] I Now Know what a Baxter is

Apparently a Baxter is someone who is always the nice guy and who always ends up getting screwed over by the girl.  The cable was out in my neighborhood, so tonight seemed like a good enough time to watch The Baxter and I was pleasantly surprised.  I had no idea whatsoever that I would be treated with roles from Michael Ian Black, David Wain, Joe Lo Truglio and Paul Rudd.  The first three all being alumni of The State.  Anyway, the movie was a magnificent departure from the normal romantic comedy.  The awkwardness of Showalter's character, Elliot Sherman, is a little difficult to get used to and the plasticity of Elizabeth Banks' as the fiance makes her seem more like a prop that moves along the plot than an actual character.  I will have to say that I did enjoy the main antagonist's balls out style of alpha male dominance.  Justin Theroux, who I am not familiar with, is a treat as the ex-boyfriend, Bradley Lake.

I would recommend this movie to people who like independent films, fans of The State, fans of romantic comedies and fans of quirky odd underdogs (Michael Showalter and Michelle Williams).

MOVIEWATCHER FORECAST:

@MOVIEHOUSE: Inglorious Basterds (heard it was good from a friend), District 9 (heard it was good from my sister and her boyfriend)
@$5MOVIENITE: G.I. Joe (it's that or a footlong from Subway)
WIFE@MOVIEHOUSE: Post Grad (no one says it was good), Time Traveller's Wife (Eric Bana and Amy Adams have been in too many movies lately)
@LIVINGROOM: 17 Again (Redbox didn't have it)

No comments: